Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Trapped

My next dream is fairly short. I think I had this one when I was about 12 years old.

It starts out with me and my family taking a hike up a beautiful mountainside. I was put in charge of watching my little brother, Brennon, who was just a toddler at that point. I was carefully helping him up the big rocks, enjoying this time with my family. Suddenly, things goes darker and it begins to rain. In the confusion of everything, I forget to watch Brennon for a moment. As I realize that he is gone, I tell my parents and siblings that I can't find him, and they are furious at me. We look everywhere, including off the cliff, to see if he's fallen or something until at one point, I hear pounding and a muffled voice coming from below me. As I look down, I see my little brother under about a foot of solid, clear ice. Somehow, on this trail, a deep puddle had formed and filled with water. In the chaos of it all, my little brother had fallen in, and for some reason, the puddle had frozen over.
As I realized that Brennon was trapped, I began pounding on the ice, scratching it with my fingernails, wishing so badly that I could get him out. He looked at me with big, terrified eyes, and kept trying to scratch his way out as well, all the while screaming for me to save him. His screams, muffled by the ice, were matched with my sobs as I tried in vain to save him. Eventually, I saw his eyes draw closed and his arms go limp as he drown underneath the ice. I knew it was my fault because I hadn't watched him. I didn't know how I was going to tell my family. And then I woke up.

Often, I wake up from those type of dreams with a stomach ache and chills. I am usually sweating or crying. But eventually, I realize it was just a dream, and I can get back to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment